How to socialise dogs and cats!
We all love our pets and want them to be happy. But sometimes, socialising pets can be difficult. Many pet owners are not sure how to properly introduce their animals to other animals and people, and one of the biggest challenges can be socialising cats and dogs. There are many different methods of introducing pets to each other, but the key is making sure they are both comfortable with each other at all times.
Your social pet will be a better dog or cat!
As a dog lover with two rescue dogs, I love to share all of the fun antics that my pups get into on Instagram. As a result, I've had many friends ask me about how to socialize their own pets and how to properly introduce animals in general. In this blog post, I'll discuss the importance of early pet socialization for puppies (and adult dogs) as well as tips and tricks for introducing your new pup to other furry friends.
Why socialize pets
Dogs and cats are two of the most popular pets in the world. The United Kingdom is home to over 12.5 million pet dogs and 10.8 million pet cats.
However, they don't always get along. When you add more than one dog or cat to a household, it can be difficult to socialize them all together. They may not understand each other's body language or behaviours and may interpret things differently from how you intended. They may also be territorial creatures who will not welcome another animal into their space easily.
In this article, we'll discuss some of the most crucial socialization techniques that puppies need in their early days with us.
Socialising your puppy or kitten
Socialising a dog or cat is easy, but it’s also an important task. Kittens and puppies need to be socialized in order to be happy and healthy. Here’s how you can socialize kittens and puppies so they grow up to be well-rounded pets.
- Keep the pets separate at first
- Scent-swap! Switch items that each of the pets have used and move them into the other pet’s room. For example, take Max’s (dog) blanket and give it to Daisy (cat), then take Daisy’s bed and move it to Max’s room. This way, they get used to each other’s scent.
- Start feeding both pets on different sides of the same door, with the door shut. This way, they can associate positive emotions with the other animal’s scent.
- Open or remove the door, and replace with a pet gate, through which the pets can now see and smell each other, but cannot harm each other. Continue feeding on different sides of the gate
- Plan get-togethers or meetings to introduce each other, supervised and ready to intervene if necessary
- Allow your pets to play together, ready to intervene if necessary
- Give the pets breaks from each other
- Feed them in the same place…& you’re done!
You would be amazed to see how easy socialising dogs and cats can help you build a strong bond with them. The more time you spend with your pets, the more special they become. They gain confidence in themselves and get comfortable with you.
Other key tips!
While training a pet you should never scold or punish them. You should only reward the good behaviours and ignore the bad ones. This is the best way to make them understand what is right and what is wrong.
To wrap things up!
In this article, we have successfully covered the topic How to socialize dogs and cats. We hope these tips have been helpful! If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know by following our Instagram & Facebook page or visiting our website today.
Dr. Sadia, DVM, M.Phil. (Veterinary Medicine)