Turmeric for dogs; bad or useful?
Turmeric is a spice that has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. It is believed to have a range of health benefits, including boosting the immune system, aiding digestion and reducing inflammation. Recently, there has been interest in using turmeric as a natural treatment for dogs.
In this post, as a veterinary specialist I'll cover all you need to know about how to use turmeric for dogs, as well as the benefits of turmeric in your canine buddy.
Why should I use Turmeric for my Dog?
You may be wondering why you should use turmeric for your dog in the first place. After all, it's a herb most commonly used by humans to flavor food or make yellow milk. But turmeric has a lot of benefits for dogs and can be used to help with a variety of issues. As a vet, some of the most common reasons that I use turmeric for my canine friend include:
- Preventing and treating inflammation
- Reducing pain and healing joint health and wounds
- Supporting the immune system
- Helping with digestion
How to Cure Arthritis Pain Naturally without Medication
Turmeric is used as an arthritis treatment to alleviate pain and inflammation.
- The curcumin in turmeric can block the COX-2 enzyme that causes inflammation and pain.
- The piperine in turmeric can reduce pain by stimulating the production of natural opioids like endorphins, which are our body’s natural painkillers.
Turmeric for Brain Function and Mental Health in Dogs
- Curcumin in turmeric also helps with brain functioning by increasing BDNF (brain-derived neurotropic factor) and levels of serotonin.
- Serotonin helps to improve mood, memory, and appetite, sleep and pain perception in your feline friend.
Other ways that Turmeric can benefit Dogs
Turmeric is a powerful herb that has many benefits for dogs:
- It can help to improve their digestion, reduce inflammation, and boost their overall health.
- Additionally, turmeric can help keep their coat healthy and shiny and even help fight off ticks and mite infestations.
- It can also be used as a natural insecticide and deodorizer.
- You can buy turmeric supplements specially made for dogs.
No matter how you choose to give it to your furry friend, you are sure to obtain the amazing benefits!
Just make sure you're using Organic, non-irradiated Turmeric to avoid any potential side effects.
Are there any side effects to using turmeric?
- Some pets might experience side effects when using turmeric, such as gastrointestinal upset, skin irritation, or sensitivity to sunlight.
- If you experience any negative symptoms after using turmeric, discontinue use and consult your veterinarian.
- As with any new treatment or supplement, it's always best to check with your vet before starting to give your dog turmeric.
Turmeric is a powerful spice that has been used for centuries in eastern medicine. Recent studies have shown that it can also have benefits for dogs.
However, it's important to note that turmeric is not a substitute for veterinarian care. If your dog is sick or injured, please consult a veterinarian before giving them any turmeric supplements.
Dr. Sadia, DVM, M.Phil. (Veterinary Medicine)
Check out some of our products that contain turmeric to help fight allergies, and support hip & joint health: